Who I am
Hello Friends, Colleagues, and Neighbors (wherever you are),
As you know, my name is Andrew Kemp and I am running for the Columbia County School Board, District 3. I am sure that you have many questions for me. I am here is answer any questions that you have. Please feel free to ask me about my views of education, my beliefs about learning, or anything else you want to know about me. I will give you a straight answer even if I think it isn’t the answer you want to here. To start, here is a little bit about me.
• I was born in Melbourne, Florida in 1969.
• I have lived in Indialantic, Florida, Melbourne, Florida, Tampa, Florida, Palm Bay, Florida, Merritt Island, Florida, Brookings, South Dakota, Majuro, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Sycamore, Illinois, and now Evans, Georgia.
• I have a B.A. in English from the University of South Florida, an M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction from South Dakota State University, and an Ed.D. in Curriculum and Instruction from the University Central Florida.
• I have been a high school English teacher, a high school program coordinator, and a college professor.
• Outside of education, I have been a dishwasher, a farm manager, worked in a library, a gas station clerk, worked at a lakeside resort doing whatever needed to be done, and an editor.
• Politically, I am liberal. But, this is a non-partisan race and I am about improving education.
• I have two daughters that are 16 and 18.
• I was married for 22 years (together 27). She died of liver and kidney failure in March 2015.
• I have found a wonderful new person in my life.
• I am a writer and musician.
• I listen to all types of music. My favorites are metal and punk. My least favorites are rap and country (although I do listen to both from time to time).
• My favorite book is Walden, by Henry David Thoreau. My favorite popular book is The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.
• I love the Beat poets and the poetry of the Harlem Renaissance.
• My favorite musician is Bruce Springsteen.
• I am Buddhist.
• I am a vegetarian. It is mostly just for health reasons. I am trying to get in shape.
• I love fishing, but rarely do it.
• I used to play and coach soccer. More than 25 years of experience.
There is a lot more, but that is a start. Let me know what you want to know.
Leave a Reply.
With the exception of a year, I have been a teacher or a student for my entire life. I have taught on many different levels. I have been a middle school teacher (okay, for one semester for student teaching...because of this, I have a profound respect for middle school teachers), high school, undergraduates and graduate students. I have coached soccer in youth leagues and high school. Education is in my blood.